Services for Students
Studying in Canada

Applying to study in Canada

If you would like to study full time in Canada, you will need to apply directly to the colleges or universities that you are interested in, by completing an application form. You can get application forms by contacting the admission offices of the universities or colleges.

Each college and university in Canada has different admission criteria and its own set of rules on how to apply. Since Universities or colleges in Canada operate in either French and/or English, each institution also decides what level of English or French you will need to be accepted in order to study in Canada.

Your language ability will usually be determined through standardised language tests (i.e. TOEFL, MELAB, the International English Language Testing System). However, some Canadian schools administer their own tests, so contact the schools you are interested in directly to find out what their requirements are.

For details about the types of institutions in Canada and lists of schools, have a look at the links below:

Association of Canadian Community Colleges

Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada

Canadian Bureau for International Education

Canadian Education Centre Network

Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials

The Ministry of Education of the province in which you would like to study

Canada also has a number of private career and vocational schools. As provincial governments do not necessarily regulate private schools, make sure that the private school you apply to meets provincial education requirements. For more information on private career colleges, contact the National Association of Career Colleges

Please be aware that applying to a university or college to study in Canada will almost definitely involve some type of fee, which can range from $30CDN to $100.

Once a Canadian college or university admits you as a student, you will be sent a letter of acceptance. You need a letter of acceptance in order to apply for a Study Permit.

© 2005 WorldWide Study - finding the right courses for international students to study abroad