Services for Students
Studying in New Zealand

Applying to study in New Zealand

If you would like to study full time in New Zealand, you will need to take the following steps to enrol at the college or university you have chosen:

  1. Complete the relevant application form(s) for your chosen course/s and return them directly to the college or university. You may be able to do this online, but you will still have to provide documents via post or courier - for example, a photo, educational documents (originals or certified photocopies) and certified translations.
  2. You will be sent an 'Offer of Place' letter from the college or university confirming commencement dates and course details. You will also be sent an invoice for the tuition fees.
  3. Pay the fees.
  4. The college or university will then send you a confirmed offer of place and confirmation of payment.
  5. If you intend to study in New Zealand for more than 12 weeks, you will need to apply for a student visa at your nearest New Zealand Embassy, Consulate or Trade Commission. If your country has a visa-free agreement with New Zealand, you do not need a visa, and can apply for your permit after you have arrived in New Zealand (see section on immigration for further details).

To be accepted on a course of study in New Zealand, you will need to provide evidence of your English language proficiency. Even if your previous studies were undertaken in English, you may still need to provide evidence of an IELTS or TOEFL test score. Contact the institutions to which you are applying for more details.

For further information about studying in New Zealand and assistance with your application, visit the website of the New Zealand Immigration Service at

To find your nearest New Zealand Embassy, Consulate or Diplomatic Post, visit

Most educational institutions have a dedicated international office that will be able to help you with any questions you have about applying to study in New Zealand.



© 2005 WorldWide Study - finding the right courses for international students to study abroad